SPOILER: This is intended to be rant
Yes, GoDaddy was around for many years and have thousands if not millions customers using them.
Yes, I am using and was helping with their hosting on number of sites and for number of years, hence first hand experience.
Yes, pricing could be considering being good.
No, I would not recommend them to anyone.
No, they are not competitive offering anymore.
No, I would not trust them to represent my best interest hosting my site.
This is why:
- No PHP 7.x support for shared hosting
- 5.6 is only highest available option
- 5.6 is EOL for number of months with end of security updates support in few months when counting in activities which need to be taking place for people to move to higher version
- 7.1 is core official version
- No MariaDB support. While mySQL is still great, mariaDB becomes de facto a default for many hosting companies
- cPanel, goDaddy is using today, was supporting 7.x since Feb 2016
- If one wants to take advantage of security, resource utilization and performance improvements, goDaddy would attempt to push switch to dedicated server package, i.e. asking for more money for the same set of features
- Then there are discussions like this and comments from “GoDaddy Pro Trusted Advisor”
While everyone is entitled to their own opinions based on their own previous experience, it is ridiculous to argue that all people essentially should be driving old gasoline hungry cars because they can still be driven and one still like their own nice 1990 Buick.
- From personal experience – goDaddy representative was saying “php 7 would be soon available” since last quarter of 2016
- Any questions about up-to-date feature set ends with “time to upgrade and pay more” pitch.
<end of rant>
Conclusion: if you are looking for web hosting, don’t look at GoDaddy, look elsewhere. There are more modern offerings around there from other reputable companies and with more bang for the buck